The Finesse and Elegance of a Grand Chateau La Fleur de Gay
Chateau La Fleur de Gay is one of the most emblematic properties of the Right Bank in the Bordeaux region that is located in the heart of the Pomerol appellation and in the immediate vicinity of Chateau La Croix de Gay.
Situated in the Pomerol commune since the 15th century, the Raynaud-Lebreton family takes care of the vineyard that has an exceptional and rare terroir.
Chateau La Fleur de Gay 2017 is a blend of three parcels from the Pomerol terrace with each one possessing different geological features. Like Petrus, the «La Boutonnière» plot consists of pure clay. The Gay parcel on the western side of Chateau La Fleur has a privileged location on top of a deep, gravel ridge. Finally, the Groupey plot is also in a prime location that adjoins the upper part of Chateau Trotanoy in the southeast near Chateau Le Pin. It benefits from soils consisting of Günz fine-grained gravels on clay subsoils.
Chateau La Fleur de Gay 2017 perfectly represents the expression of the terroirs that gave birth to it. Keeping this in mind, the Raynaud-Lebreton family follow a rigorous process in the vineyard and in winemaking that combines both the know-how of the Burgundy and Bordeaux traditions. Each terroir found at Chateau La Fleur de Gay expresses their unique features, so the Chateau La Fleur de Gay 2017 blend illustrates all the art of the Bordeaux tradition while at the same time balancing it with the correct proportion of each variety to give a great Pomerol wine with a unique style.
With this delicate 2017 vintage, the harvest started on September 18th. Chateau La Fleur de Gay 2017 successfully shows all the characteristics of a great Pomerol. All of the wine was aged in Bordeaux barrels with 80% in new oak and the remaining 20% in old oak. The final blend consists of 92% Merlot and 8% Cabernet Franc. Each terroir shines through in this blend ; the Gay plot gives stength, the Groupey parcel offers the the finesse of Pomerol, and the La Fleur plot presents a touch of spice.
Wine Advocate-Parker :
The medium to deep garnet-purple colored 2017 La Fleur de Gay opens with earthy notions of underbrush, dusty soil and mossy bark over a core of red currant jelly and black cherries. Medium to full-bodied, firm and chewy, it has a little dip in the mid-palate but recovers slightly on the finish with some lovely fragrant earth nuances.