The legendary Clos Rougeard is one of the most famous estates in the Saumur and Saumur Champigny appellations. Located in Chacé, between Tours and Angers in the Loire, Clos Rougeard bears witness to a rich winegrowing past and is at the origin of one of the finest definitions of Cabernet Franc. As far back as 1664, the "Les Poyeux" plot was mentioned for the production of its quality wines.
Clos Rougeard owes its fame to a blind tasting held in Paris in 1993, which brought together the great Pomerol wines of 1990. The famous Le Bourg du Clos Rougeard came out on top, ahead of the greatest names in the appellation.
At the head of the estate since 1969, the Foucault brothers, Jean-Louis, known as "Charly," and Nady, are the eighth generation of winegrowers to have settled at Clos Rougeard. The estate has always been cultivated without the use of pesticides and using organic methods. The Foucault brothers have inspired a number of winemakers since the 1970s, proving that an exceptional wine can be produced using natural methods that respect the vines.
Following the death of the late Charly Foucault in 2015, Clos Rougeard came under the ownership of the brothers Martin and Olivier Bouygues. Nady Foucault remained the estate's technical adviser. Hervé Berland, manager of Château Montrose and Château Tronquoy-Lalande in Saint-Estèphe, took over the reins at Clos Rougeard.
Clos Rougeard covers 11 hectares of vines. The vines are on average around forty years old, and the Cabernet Franc grapes making up the Le Bourg cuvée come from vines over 70 years old.
The Clos Rougeard is the source of exceptional and confidential cuvées, and is one of the most sought-after wines among Saumur-Champigny connoisseurs.