World-renowned for the quality of its wines, Winery Louis M Martini, located in California in the heart of Napa Valley, traces its origins back to the 19th century.
Benjamin Dreyfus and Emmanuel Goldstein, two pioneering winemakers, created an estate called Mt. Pisgah Vineyard. Ravaged a few years later by phylloxera, the vineyard was replanted in 1890 with Zinfandel vines, which now make up the oldest vines on the estate.
Following the death of Benjamin Dreyfus in 1886, Emmanuel Goldstein modernised the infrastructure by building a state-of-the-art gravity-fed winery, and renamed the estate "Goldstein Ranch." On his death in 1938, his heirs sold the estate to a close friend, Louis M. Martini, who renamed the property "Monte Rosso" in reference to the vineyard's geographical location at the top of a mountain with rich red soil.
A visionary, he also decided to add Cabernet Sauvignon, now the vineyard's flagship grape variety, to the original blend, along with small quantities of Merlot, Syrah and other varieties.
Two generations have carried on the work begun by Louis M. Martini, respecting his philosophy of producing great wines from great vineyards. In 2002, the Gallo family, close to the Martini family, bought the winery and its vineyards. With each passing vintage, this purchase gave new impetus to the worldwide development of its great Californian wines from the Sonoma vineyards.
The temperate climate and rocky soils of the Napa Valley are ideal conditions for growing exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, producing great wines that are recognised far and wide for their rich aromas, exceptional tannins and great ageing potential.